Thursday, June 3, 2010

Of Spiritual Drinking Age

Today, I turn the much-anticipated age of 21 years... spiritually. Today, I am old enough to drink of the wine of the Spirit. For it was on this day, back in 1989, on a very bright, sunny, warm Bellevue, Washington, early afternoon on an old, worn wooden bench that I asked the Alpha and Omega, the Author of Eternity, the Savior of the World, into my heart. What a glorious day!

Oh, I can only wonder from what turmoil the indwelling Spirit of God averted me. How utterly thankful I am that I always had a peace that surpassed understanding and never left me unfulfilled, even on bad days and in dark times. I've never really known emptiness. Or true, God-forsaken despair.

It has been quite a journey since that providential day. The Holy Spirit and I have been through highs (absolutely extraordinary highs) and lows (deep, deep lows). There were also periods of stagnation. And times of simple rest. He was always there keeping my faith alive. He still pushes me with great purpose and pulls me with unfathomable promises.

He is a good God. He is gracious. He did not have to save me.

No comments:

Post a Comment