Sunday, November 4, 2012

One-Issue Voter


"Am I a one-issue voter?" Jasmine responded, repeating the question Gwendolyn asked.  "No, of course not."
 
"Well, it sure sounds like it," Gwendolyn rejoined.  "When I asked who you were going to vote for, the first thing out of your mouth was something about abortion and not being able to vote for Obama."
 
"Well, yes, that's true," Jasmine laughed.  "But I'm basing my decision on all kinds of other things as well:  Like too much spending, increasing government control, too high taxes, national security, energy independence, this whole Benghazi thing, which has really caused me concern about our President's integrity.  There's actually a lot.  Not to mention my dad can't get a job.  We're living off my mom's income right now."

Jasmine continued, "But, even if abortion was the only issue, and I was a one-issue voter, would that really be such a bad thing?  Could you really hold that against me?  If abortion truly is what I and others -- and ultrasounds, for that matter -- believe it is, and I didn't make that the issue, then I would be a rather pathetic person.  If abortion truly is murder, murder of innocent little babies never given a chance at life, and I don't make it THE issue of every election, then I'm going to have a lot to answer for when I stand before Christ on judgment day.  

"And what's the big deal with being a one-issue voter anyway?" Jasmine added.  "If this were 1860 and I was making the 1860 election all about slavery -- even though there were other issues, like states' rights and whatever else -- would somebody get mad at me for that too?  If I were voting for Lincoln just because of one issue, would that really be such a bad thing?  And I would humbly submit that as bad as slavery was... abortion is worse."

No comments:

Post a Comment