Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"Esther" Palin

Many people have talked about the comparisons between Sarah Palin and Esther, the fifth-century BC Jewish queen of Persia who was instrumental in saving the Jews from annihilation.

Like Esther, Palin is a follower of the God of the Bible. Like Esther, she is a relatively young, pretty woman with the platform to impact culture and an entire nation. Also like Esther, many people believe God has spoken that Palin is a woman appointed "for such a time as this" (Esther 4:14), meaning that she has been called upon and raised up for something he wants to do.

Today, I came across another, almost eerie, parallel between Palin and Esther. Right after the "for such a time as this" line, Esther speaks of fulfilling the role God has for her. She says, "...and if I perish, I perish" (4:16). Reading this line in my quiet time today, I was taken aback. For it reminded me of something Palin said not two months ago about resigning from her governor post and pursuing "something" different: "...you know, politically speaking -- if I die, I die. So be it." Practically taken right out of the mouth of Esther herself!

I believe God has something in store for Palin and we haven't seen the last of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment